This symbol was originally designed for the British nuclear disarmament movement. It was designed and completed February 21 ,1958 by Gerald Holtom ,a professional designer and artist in Britain for the April 4 march planned by the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War (DAC) from Trafalgar Square ,London to the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston Christan in England. The symbol was later adopted by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), and subsequently became an international emblem for the 1960s anti-war movement and the counterculture of the time.
The symbol itself is a combination of the semaphoric signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for Nuclear Disarmament. In semaphore the letter "N" is formed by a person holding two flags in an upside-down "V," and the letter "D" is formed by holding one flag pointed straight up and the other pointed straight down. These two signals imposed over each other form the shape of the peace symbol. In the first official CND version (which was preceded by a ceramic pin version that had straight lines, but was short lived) the spokes curved out to be wider at the edge of the circle, which was white on black.